Thursday, December 24, 2015

Mary, did you know?

Christmas this and last year have taken on a little bit of a different meaning to me. It's always been about Christ and his birth but my thoughts turn to Mary more often now.

Mary. The mother of a perfect child.

About a month or so after loosing Declan, I was visiting with a friend who has also lost a son. We talked about a lot of different things but as they were leaving she turned back and said how amazing it is to know what Mary knew. To be a kin spirit with her because we know what it's like to have a perfect child.

It seems weird to be grateful for something so tragic like loosing a child. And it's not that I'm glad he's gone, because I wish he weren't. But I'm grateful for the things I've learned from the experience. I miss him everyday. I miss him as I look at Liam's sweet face and know that he knows his big brother. And we approach the holidays with part of our hearts missing. But at the same time we feel so blessed to know what we know.

As I think about the birth of Christ and look at pictures of Mary and the baby Jesus, I'm reminded of the previous time I had holding my perfect child. It's almost overwhelming to think about how amazing that spirit had to be to get called back home so quickly. And now I relate to Mary like I never thought I would.

The song "Mary, did you know?" has always been my favorite Christmas song. And now I love it more than ever. So as I think about the birth of our Savior this Christmas, I have a reoccurring thought.

Mary....I know.

Merry Christmas from Renee, Mark, Declan, and Liam. We hope you feel the love of our savior this year and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment